Monday, June 23, 2008

waves+pebbles+rocks+sand=perfection


A couple of months back, I listened to Backstreet Boy's Millenium cd after years of not hearing it. I was amazed to find that I still knew each and every one of the lyrics, I could anticipate the notes before they were played, and I could fall in love with that spanish guitar in "Show me the meaning of being lonely" all over again.
The beach was kind of like that. So familiar and yet so new. I might have gotten a little carried away with the photographs I took, but I wanted you guys to see each and every pebble and rock the way I had yesterday.

The Indian Ocean's nothing like the Atlantic. For starters its warm.
French beach is a safely enclosed cove, so that's why there's a lot rocks and cliffs.
Crabs are still one of my favorite animals. Poor archaic beings.
The way the air smells at the beach is hands down my favorite smell (even above oleanders after a summer shower).
While in the water yesterday, we happened to make friends with a sea turtle. He kept swimming into us.












Watching waves break over rocks, feeling the water spray upon your face, and digging your toes into the sand are things that I find doing exquisite in many different ways. I watched a man walk around with a snake and a mongoose on the beach, the same man who'd walked around years before and admired the crevices in his face, the tanned crow's feet around his eyes. I find myself falling in love with Karachi, everyday that I wander its street.









Lastly, I found this verse from some Elizabeth Barret Browning poem somewhat creepy.

What do we give to our beloved?
A little faith all undisproved,
A little dust to overweep,
And bitter memories to make
The whole earth blasted for our sake.
He giveth His belovèd, sleep.

2 comments:

jenna leigh said...

breathtaking.

i love the ocean. i love the sea smell and the beach hair and the wind. i love that you don't take these things for granted. thanks for sharing.

katie grosskopf said...

i love that there are places that you fall in love with and can pick right back up in after months or years away.